Last Updated: May 28, 2014
- the study of society
- a social science involving the study of the social lives of people, groups, and societies
- the study of our behavior as social beings, covering everything from the analysis of short contacts between anonymous individuals on the street to the study of global social processes
- the scientific study of social aggregations, the entities through which humans move throughout their lives'
- an overarching unification of all studies of humankind, including history, psychology, and economics
American Sociological Association (http://asanet.org/about/sociology.cfm)
By leading the Americans in his audience step by step through the thought process, sociologist Sam Richards sets an extraordinary challenge: can they understand -- not approve of, but understand -- the motivations of an Iraqi insurgent? And by extension, can anyone truly understand and empathize with another?
- A Sociological Tour Through Cyberspace
Professor Michael Kearl of Trinity University provides this interesting look at such sociological topics as death and dying, marriage and family life, and race and ethnicity.
- Americana: The Institute for the Study of American Popular Culture
- Everyday Sociology Blog
Sociology blog maintained by publisher W.W. Norton
- Glossary of the Social Sciences
- Institute for Public Policy and Social Research
The Institute for Public Policy and Social Research (IPPSR) applies research to pressing public policy issues and builds problem-solving relationships between the academic and policymaker communities.
- Institute for Social Research @ University of Michigan
- Internet Resources: Sociology -Library of Congress
- Julian Dierkes' SocioLog
- Online Dictionary of the Social Sciences
This social science dictionary has 1000 entries covering the disciplines of sociology, criminology, political science and women's study with a focus on Canadian examples
- Researching Sociology on the Internet
An informative guide from Wadsworth, a college textbook publisher.
- Social Movements & Culture - Cultural Politics
Overview of various social/cultural/protest movements
- Social Research Methods
Resources for applied social research and evaluation including a complete online research methods text, course resources, and researcher tools.
- Sociology Central
British sociologist Chris Livesey has made available notes, worksheets, lessons, and other resources for teaching and learning sociology.
- Sociology Dictionary: Sociological Terms from A to Z
The glossary contains an A to Z listing of sociological terms with definitions and examples. Find brief and extended definitions of a wide variety of sociological topics.
- Sociology Glossary
Glossary from the 4th ed of Schaefer's introductory sociology text
A multi-purpose guide for social scientists. The Web's reference for researching any subject in society. Edited by Dr. Albert Benschop (University of Amsterdam)
- The SocioWeb: A Guide to Sociology and Sociological Research